Talk about some anxiety and a sleepless night preceding the appointment. Between my nerves and Eric's jet lag, we were both wide awake at 5 am. For the first time in our (almost) 10 year courtship, we went on a breakfast date (that wasn't IHop at 2 am) AND helped open the restaurant at 6 am. On Facebook I blamed it on Eric's jet lag, but in reality, I couldn't sleep a wink either.
For the appointment, I had to show up with a full bladder (which isn't hard these days) to give the tech a better opportunity to locate baby with the ultrasound.
For the appointment, I had to show up with a full bladder (which isn't hard these days) to give the tech a better opportunity to locate baby with the ultrasound.
They called us back and she explained that she will try to find baby with the handheld transducer first, but if that didn't work, we'd try the wand. (Can you imagine Eric's face at the mention of "the wand"!?)
It seemed like 30 minutes before she located baby, but in reality Eric said it may have been 30 seconds. When she found baby (so I almost just wrote her, instead of baby, is that a sign??) she turned on the TV screen so we could see. Cue the waterworks, again! I quite possibly bruised Eric's hand as hard as I was squeezing, but there was officially something in my tummy!!
What started as sniffles turned into shaking hands and a stream of tears rolling down my face. I had to relax and quit taking sharp (sobbing) breaths so the tech could get a good picture. There, on the screen, was a little piece of each of us.
![]() |
| Good thing it says "Baby" on there, kinda looks like a silhouette of someone flexing, as my brother lovingly pointed out. |
Once I relaxed, she was able to take measurements and get a few more pics (that basically all look exactly the same). Since I wasn't completely sure on timing, based on the measurements, she determined our due date to be April 20, 2016. (Yep, you read that correctly, 4/20. How many times have I heard, "If it's a girl, Mary Jane is so fitting!)
![]() |
| I probably NEED something with the April Birthstone fairly quick. ;) |
Following the ultrasound, we went across the street to our doctors office. Everything went very well! My first question (of course) was related to travel restrictions... See, we have this dream vacation planned with some of our best friends over New Years and I wanted to make sure I'd be eligible to go. Timing is great, I'll be right at 6 months, so hopefully I'll look "pregnant" and not just awkward. One of these days, we're going to have to slow down. I imagine it will be in the weeks leading up to and following April 20th of next year.
Three hours later--ultrasound and paperwork and lab work, oh my!--Eric was starving. Neither one of us had eaten since our breakfast date and it was quickly approaching 2pm. After the 5 vials of blood were withdrawn, I definitely needed some substance. We went to our favorite pho place (Pho Ever, of course, is the name) and reflected on what just went down. Our lives will never be the same, and we couldn't be happier!
We got home and I had Eric take my very first silhouette photo. I can't wait to start seeing the progress!
We had a trip planned to Houston to meet our nephew at the end of September and we decided that would be when we tell the family our great news. Well, of course, I just couldn't wait that long...
Patiently waiting for my bump,
xoxo,
Marissa






No comments:
Post a Comment