Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Visiting Houston





To round out his hitch home, it was finally time to visit the family in Houston [the last weekend in September/first in October]. Originally, we were going to break the news to everybody on this trip, but I just couldn't wait. Besides, I would have already been 11 weeks along and I wanted to bask in this happiness with family and friends as long as possible!



Heading to H town!
Wearing this shirt that Regan and Flo got for me!

We flew in late on a Wednesday night. I wasn't expecting it, but I should have known both mom and dad would be waiting as we walked out of the secure gate area. Cue tears. Mom came up and hugged me hard and I held her tight. At this point in my pregnancy, I still had no physical signs of pregnancy, I hadn't experienced any symptoms (thankfully, and knock on wood...), and had we not just had an ultrasound a couple weeks prior, I still wouldn't have believed it was true. That being said, just knowing that I was starting my journey of motherhood gave me some inexplicable, instant bond with my mom, deeper than I could have ever imagined.





Chloe came along on this trip (whyyy don't they have frequent flier miles for dogs? It's a hard pill to swallow when her 'ticket' is sometimes more than mine, and she counts as one of my carry-ons, and she has to travel in her duffel bag under the seat in front of me!). So after a bit of an emotional moment, mom took Chloe, we got our luggage and headed for the house.




Expert traveler, right there.




One of my favorite things about Houston, besides family (of course), is the food and culture! Mom and Dad were able to take Thursday off, so we went to our favorite Carniceria in Deer Park for breakfast tacos and the Greek Festival that evening for dinner and entertainment.




Thursday night, Mom and Eric were extremely agreeable as we took like a million options for the 'pregnancy announcement' for the good ol' world wide web. We had a few ideas floating around, but ended up just keeping it simple. I think it was perfect for us!





ummm.... one more?


...maybe a few more...


We love to travel, but that's just too busy....




Yes!! Simple, perfect. Winner!!
(Thanks, Auntie Brooke for baby's first AND the most precious onesie!)








_______________________________




Friday was a great day-we got to meet and spend time with our first nephew, Mr. Gunner Dean! Mom went with and stayed a few hours so we got to catch up with Vicki, hear the birth stories, and oogle and google at this sweet boy.


Sweet baby, 5 days young!
Pimpin' that onesie Auntie Mar custom made!

Snuggled up to Uncle Eric!



It will be so fun having a cousin so close in age to our little one! I loved growing up with so many cousins!


_______________________________




Saturday was great with my in-laws. Sharon and I ran errands, visited some antique shops and dropped by to see Gunner again. That night we had an early birthday dinner for Sharon with Wombat. Perry's steakhouse has never disappointed!





Like woah. We didn't get a photo of the four of us at dinner, but I sure remembered to take one of this bread pudding with a homemade marshmallow. The marshmallow was the size of my fist and so wonderfully delicious!
Our last night together this hitch. Chloe and I relaxed while Daddy was packing up his stuff. Last night is always the worst night, but I did have a fully tummy and was laying in bed so I mustered a smile ;) [Can you find camouflaged Chloe?!]

_______________________________




After dropping Eric off at the airport Sunday morning, I headed back to my parents to watch the Texans (lose) and hang out with more of the extended family. I finally got to see my grandma for the first time after telling her the baby news. At one point, she was standing there looking at me, saying, "Ay Marissa," (in her Spanish accent) "I can already tell you're pregnant!" and she walks over to feel my 'belly.' Please note, at this point, I literally had not gained an ounce of weight, and was in fact still in my 'skinny/in-shape' wardrobe. Thanks, Ma. :) [You know, I've got clothes that range 3 sizes at all times in the closet--in shape, standard, holiday time]






MMMMmenudo! So, I half-joked that I would love to have some delicious menudo at my parents after I dropped Eric off... Any other time they would have laughed, this time, it was for their grandbaby. I could get used to this....

Family <3


It was a whirlwind of a month that we got to spend with so many people we love. While I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed 7 consecutive nights, I have 3 of the 4 weekends booked while Eric is offshore. I love my non-stop life!


Not-even-close-to-showing,
xoxo,
Marissa


No comments:

Post a Comment